Monday, November 3, 2008

Busy Crafters

Sarah and I have been working on lots of projects. Most of them are going to be presents so they're secret for now. One we can talk about, though, is this experiment with felting. I don't know what they'll turn into yet, but here's the start of a couple of projects.

Sarah bought some wool sweaters at a thrift store. I think they were something like 50 cents apiece. We zipped them into a pillowcase and washed them in the washing machine with hot water. One of them really smelled like moth balls when it got wet.
I don't know if you can see the difference, but they're a lot smaller now and really dense - they've turned into felt. We're going to cut them up and transform them into something else. They're still drying for now - it's taking a long time. (The hat had a label saying it was wool but it didn't felt, so I guess it wasn't.) We'll show you when the next step gets done.
Here's another felt project. You start by knitting something that looks like a hat.I guess it wouldn't keep your ears very warm.

Then you give it the hot water treatment and dry it over a rounded container. It's going to be a felt bowl. It's almost dry. Now I'll have to figure out how to decorate it. I'll put up a picture if it comes out ok. I think it's pretty cute so far. :-)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

These projects are so cool. It's funny that the sweaters don't look that different in the pictures. They do in real life. Good project journal about the felt bowl.

Susan said...

Cool bowl!